Tuesday, July 27, 2010

It's over!

July 28th is the climatalogical hottest day of the year. It starts getting cooler for the next six months. Historically August is the month of vacation in France. Therefore now is the time to blog about the summer sidewalk cafe' wine of Paris.

Muscadet is the wine of summer in Paris. It should be inexpensive, light, fresh, dry, fruity and minerally. I like good Muscadet....I am persnickety about it though.

For the first time in about 10 years I have bought a Muscadet. For $11.99 you can get great Muscadet. Michel Delhommeau 2009 Muscadet Sevre et Maine, Sur Lie, St. Vincent pleases persnickety people. Go grab your favorite ice bucket, plop a bottle in the bucket, fill the bucket with ice, go shuck some oysters and set up your own backyard Parisian cafe. Put some scratchy Edith Piaf records on the turntable and lament the DeGaulle years.

Oh, if you can't find my Muscadet, it's important to find as much similar info on the label as I have previously printed. Muscadet is the grape, Sevre et Maine is the best region, and Sur Lie means the wine was aged on the lees, sediment, for months, to give it extra flavor. St. Vincent in this case will be hard to find. I believe it is the vineyard site, but I am not sure. Yes, 2009 is the most important info on the label.

No comments:

Post a Comment