Monday, March 29, 2010

Rain, rain go away!

Another 3-6 inches of rain due today in the Boston area. Since two storms ago flooded my basement and its now cleared of everything, it's time we go for the world record here and shoot for 41 days and nights. Oh, well.

I wanted a wine to warm me up. Flavors, aromas, alcohol and body, I want it all in one red wine.
Aglianico is the grape, southern Italy is the place, Selvanova is the company and Vigna Antica (old vines) is the quality. Big, spicy earthy flavors and aromas exude from the big and tannic red wine. No red sauce for this baby, I want my favorite cold, dank, dreary day, red wine meat, lamb. And I want the lamb marinated in lots of Rosemary and garlic and olive oil and gin, yes gin, and lemon juice. Roasting that lamb-herb concoction fills my house and the neighbors houses with amazing aromas that get the old digestive juices pumping faster than a sump. I once cooked this dish over the fire in the fireplace, it flares up a lot if you are daring, have the fire extinguisher ready. To make the meal complete, I have to have Garlic Roast Potatoes. The recipe comes out of Jasper White's first cookbook, Cooking in New England. If I remember correctly the recipe is called Freddie's Roast Potatoes. If you do this recipe right, double the batch, you will still run out. They are that good. Heck, it's worth to buy the book for that one recipe but all the others I have tried are fabulous. I even thing the lamb marinade came out of the same book.

Back to the wine. Open and decant the bottle an hour before serving. Same time as the potatoes take.

12 done 588 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment