Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Winter Wine

Well, it's after midnight so I missed my first self-imposed deadline. I'm human.

I consider this still Wednesday.

Two weeks ago Josep Ardevol winemaker and owner of Ardevol wines in Priorat Spain stopped in the store and tasted me on his amazing wines. Although he has some amazing great pricey reds, I was mesmerized for the second vintage in a row by his least expensive wine, Anjoli 2007.

You can get all the official details on the Boutique Wines website, his broker in the US.

The 2006 was a gorgeous drink at the end of last year. But it sold out before I could get greedy on buying a ton of it. The 2007 has the same amazing winter holiday spice flavor in a dry red wine. I served the 2006 with a roast beef. The 2007 has more tannic acid to it so it will be better balanced with a fattier piece of meat like a prime rib or beef or lamb with a creamy or butter based sauce. I also think the 2007 has more aging potential and I will squirrel away half a case at home.

There is no other wine like it with a similar flavor profile. I am thinking it might be sneaky good with grilled pork ribs.

Off to bed.

6 down, 594 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment