Thursday, March 25, 2010

Wine from the Cape

NO, not Cape Town, although there will a lot of wines from South Africa in the coming blogs, but from my annual crashing of a Cape Cod wine trade show that is my personal first day of spring.

This year one of the big hits was a familiar friend in a new vintage. The 2007 MOMA from the Rubicone of Italy made by Umberto Cesari, read your Caeser for Rubicone stories, was just delicious. A blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, the red wine is smooth, full of flavor and easy to drink with or without food. The MOMA has been a steady staple in the store for many years and this is the best I have ever tried. I would not serve it with red sauce, but a meaty Bolognese or grilled meat or hearty stews will work fine.

I visited Cesari almost ten years ago and had a wonderful time visiting a gracious host and talented winemaker. It's always good to support nice people in the wine business.

I guess crossing the Cape Cod Canal is my Rubicone of Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment