Sunday, April 11, 2010

Eureka!

A little over 4 years ago, one of my wine savviest customers was commuting to NYC for business. He always went to the same restaurant, and ordered the same type of wine each time. On his last visit, he asked the sommelier for something my customer had never had before. The sommelier offered him The Chocolate Block and told him he would never find it anywhere as the restaurant had it exclusively in the city. The customer we shared told the sommelier, "No problem, my wine guy in Millis will get it for me."

8 months later I found it and got it for him. I am slow, but persistant.

He was very happy.

I tasted the wine and was overjoyed! At the time, I carried two wines from South Africa. Three with The Chocolate Block. and then another and another and another and now we carry almost 100 different wines from South Africa. I believe they offer the best bang for the buck wine values found anywhere in the world today. And it's not even close.

The 2008 Chocolate Block just arrived. It was promised to me back in November 2009. It is a delicious blend of red and white grapes. It has a sensation of chocolate in a rich dry red wine. I think the 2008 needs another 6 months in the bottle to show how good it is. It was yummy, but still too young with smoked ribs and slaw, and a flan of gorgonzola with andoullie sausage and toast. It overpowered a Coq au Vin Blanc. It retails for $39.99 a bottle in the store and this year my quota was 24 bottles. First come, first served.

Eureka is also a town in California as well as the yell for a gold strike. South Africa has more gold and better wine than California. E?UREKA! dude

No comments:

Post a Comment