Sunday, April 4, 2010

A is for Alphabetical

Every Christmas my bride gifts me a wine book that I would never buy for myself. Like all gifts, some are winners and some, well, let's just say make great door stops. This past holiday, she gave me 1001 Wines You Must Taste Before You Die. Catchy title. Makes me want to drink my cellar ASAP. Well the first wine listed in the red wine section is Aalto PS 2001. WOW! Not only did I taste this in barrel in Spain back in 2002, I own 5 6-packs of it that I bought in 2005.

This is GONNA be a great wine! Well, it already is a great wine, but it needs years of aging to reach drinking perfection. It is made entirely from Tempranillo grape, all of the vines are over 40 years old, from the Ribera del Duero region. I tasted a bottle when it first arrived and made a note, not to try it again til 2010. Now that it is 2010 and I have tried it again the wine is showing more complexity, and it's big, but it still needs more time. I will try it again in 2014. The price for Spanish perfection is $100 a bottle. No, not cheap, but wicked good, if you have the patience. I am thinking a prime rib roast would be the perfect compliment.

Aalto may go with Aardvark, but I have never eaten Aardvark so I can't be sure. It just makes sense though.

No comments:

Post a Comment