Monday, June 21, 2010

Fathers Day Wine

Here's a dilemna most people don't have. It's Fathers Day, I picked king crab legs with butter and Old Bay, cole slaw and stuffed quahogs. And the wine was? I couldn't make up my mind. I wanted something fresh but with bottle age. Minerally and fruity. Light and rich. Arghhh.

Rummage, pick, poke, lift and separate the wine cellar until VOILA

2002 Tiefenbrunner Feldmarschal Muller-Thurgau from Italy. It was perfect. So if you need a wine for showing off, goes great with steamed lobster or crab and costs about $40 a bottle, I have about a half dozen bottles left. And the race is on. Will you buy them before I drink them? They cannot get any better than they are this summer!

Muller-Thurgau is a grape developed over 100 years ago by Professor Muller of Thurgau Switzerland. It is planted extensively in Germany and used to make good but not great quality table wine. In the cooler climate of the Alps the grape makes wonderful dry white dinner wine, that needs at least 5 years of age to be drinkable. This wine is from one of the highest vineyard sites in the Italian Alps. I need to order more now for a lobster in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment