Sunday, June 6, 2010

Watermelon salad part 2

It was hot the other night. And Humid. I wanted cold wine. I knew I was having watermelon salad. I grabbed the wrong bottle out of the cooler. Great mistake.

I dont really like the grape Viognier. It is a white grape native to the Rhone Valley of France. The trade has been trying to talk up the grape for over 20 years. I don't get it. I keep one of two in the store just to have them. People ask for them, I got them, but I try to turn them to other wines.... until now.

Peirano Estate in Lodi California made an unbelievably delicious Viognier in 2007. Fruit flavors with hints of spice, that are different from any other white grape I know. Delicious and only $12.99. And it goes with my favorite watermelon salad, and it went with the ribs too, and the whole red snapper with jambalaya stuffing. Nice to find a summer white that can stand up to the whole meal, spicey fruity, smokey, and all the other flavors of summer.

Funky and fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment