Monday, May 3, 2010

April 26

After the Raats dinner, we adjourned to the courtyard and tasted some other Cabernet Francs, cuz I wanted to get the expert's opinion.

We started with the 2006 Insoglio de Cinghiale, a super-Tuscan from Maremma that is a blend of Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Syrah. At first, he said nothing, but I could tell it was not his cup of tea. A half hour later, he turned to me and said that he couldn't believe how much better it got in the glass over time. When I told him the wholesaler had dropped the price from $35 a bottle down to $25 a bottle, he told me, he would drink it at that price. Another rib-eye to be consumed soon.

Tony Soter is one of California's best winemakers. I have tasted his Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon and been impressed. I have never tasted his Cabernet Franc til the Raats dinner. At $70 a bottle this is flashy red wine. Lots of sweet new oak flavors are not my cup of tea. Raats thought the wine was correct but needed more time for the oak to calm down, but if you like those big showy California Cabs. this wine will work for you now.

And from out of the cellar I found the 1996 Beringer III Century Cabernet Franc! Spectacular! Also sold out. I dont think Beringer makes this anymore. The grapes were from Howell Mountain. Raats apprenticed at Cakebread Cellars for a while and told me that he learned that he would only grow Cabernet Franc on Howell Mountain or Chalk Hill because of the soil. This wine proved him correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment