Sunday, May 23, 2010

Chinon Chinon Harvest Moon

Chinon is among the best red wine towns in the white wine region of the Loire Valley in France. The other night I tried 3 different ones from the great 2005 vintage. I was trying to organize my storage space in the store and found the 3 different cases in 3 different locations in the store room. I took it as an omen. And, quality rules.

Charles Jouget is considered by many to be the best producer in Chinon. The red grape grown in this town is Cabernet Franc. His wines are all delicious. His best wine comes from the Clos du Chene Vert vineyard. At $40 a bottle the wine is still very young and will keep and improve for at least 1o years, maybe longer. Fruit, and hints of brown spice, with some still youthful tannins, this wine is yummy now with fattier cuts of meat. I had it with beef short ribs and that has lots of fat, but the ribs were smoked and I was surprised that the wine did not work well with the smokey flavor. Oh, well, more homework is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment