Monday, May 10, 2010

Boys Night Out

A few times a year a bunch of us bad boys in the wine and food trade get together, cook, eat and drink and swap "war" stories from the past few months. Some of the dishes tonight are foie gras stuffed ravioli, fluke with rhubarb butter, and seafood paella stuffed chicken legs. There will be more, lots more and the CHEESE course. My job will be to line up the wine people bring and pair them with the food. I am in charge of bringing wine for the toughest wine-food pairing. Tonight that will be the rhubarb buttered fluke. Fluke is a fish like a flounder, or sole, but with a stronger flavor. Rhubarb is right up there with cranberry with tartness. I have selected an Italian white wine called My Time. Valter Scarbolo is one of Italy's best winemakers. He has taken a page out of Marcel Deiss' playbook and grows different varieties of grapes in the same field and picks them the same day. Both Deiss and Scarbolo believe that the grapes talk to each other to ripen the same day versus one after another. It works for them.

My Time is a blend of 3 grapes that has good acidity and ripeness. It is very hard to describe, but it tastes and smells wicked awesome. The wine sells for $34.99 a bottle. I will edit this blog after I try it with the dish. I can't wait!

Oh, I make the boys guess the wine. They won't get this one, unless they read this in the next hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment