Thursday, May 20, 2010

Awesome Pinot Noir

I love a great French Red Burg. Nothing comes close in California, Oregon or anywhere else until tonight.

There is a high quality guidebook to the wines of South Africa named Platter's. It is the single most reliable wine rating publication that I have come across. In the 2009 guide, there is a new one every year, they rated the 2007 Pinot Noir from Paul Cluver as tasting like French Burg. Tonight I tasted the wine.

It was so good, I left a message on my suppliers voice mail, that I wanted to buy it all. You cannot get fabulous French red Burg for under $50 a bottle and then only rarely. This Paul Cluver Pinot Noir 2007 I tried tonight was fantastic. The fruit, the earth, the spice, the smoke were all in the wine and in balance for only $19.99 a bottle. My dining partner and I debated on what it reminded us of. We are confident that it tastes like a premier cru, Beaune. Premier Cru Beaune is around $80 a bottle, I would rather drink the Paul Cluver.

The wine was an amazing match with chicken. I can't wait to try it with other foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment